installing patched okular: cannot open Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 17 18:11:47 UTC 2020

On Mar 16, 2020, at 14:53, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> It is a permissions error. Although Chris and others seem to make this work, it has never worked for me to put a macports repo in my home folder. I don’t know why, and I gave up trying to fix it.
>
> Just put it in /Users/Shared/MacPorts or, what I do, is put them all in /opt (but then you have to be careful with sudo, which I always am).

As far as I remember, this is the correct answer. The macports user (and any user other than you) cannot read the contents of your home directory. So your options are to either put the new ports tree outside of your home directory, or else modify the permissions of your home directory to allow other users to read its contents. The latter may be fine if you are the only user of your computer but is not recommended if you share your computer with other users who have their own accounts.