Misbehaving mysql57-server

John Korchok jkorchok at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:00:17 UTC 2020

Hi Bill,

Thanks, but that command doesn't return any information.

I haven't enabled networking. In the Activity Monitor, MySQL is running.

I tried installing mysql56, then switched to that version, but that isn't creating a sock file either. In the mysql-error log, mySQL thinks it's created the sock file (I saw nearly identical messages in 5.7 error log):
Version: '5.6.45' socket:  '/opt/local/var/run/mysql56/mysqld.sock'  port: 0 Source distribution

But that folder only contains the hidden file .turd_mysql56-server (same thing in 5.7).

However, in 5.6, when I try to sign in to mysql I get this:

mysql -u root -p
Enter password:

client_connect

Establishing a connection to '' ...
[MySQL-5.6.45  ][1049] Unknown database 'test'

Check the connection options using --help or -?

Any more ideas anyone?

John