Protocol for updating wiki pages at trac.macports.org?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 8 16:14:00 UTC 2020

On Sep 7, 2020, at 18:24, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> Hello, MacPorts folks:
>
> Is there a protocol for making improvements to wiki pages at trac.macports.org beyond, "log in, press the edit button, and make the change"? I have a documentation improvement that will make my life easier, but I don't want to make a mess that someone needs to unwind.
>
> What I want to document is use of links of the form,
> [changeset:bd5d6800828a3dcda1b65f3999fa748a365b168e/macports-ports] and
> [changeset:bd5d6800828a3dcda1b65f3999fa748a365b168e/macports-ports link text here] .
>
> These are apparently preferred over links of the form:
> [https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/bd5d6800828a3dcda1b65f3999fa748a365b168e <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/bd5d6800828a3dcda1b65f3999fa748a365b168e>] and
> [https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/bd5d6800828a3dcda1b65f3999fa748a365b168e <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/bd5d6800828a3dcda1b65f3999fa748a365b168e> link text here] .
>
> I would like to see this mentioned as examples at <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WikiFormatting> <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WikiFormatting> and at<https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WikiFormatting#TracLinks> <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WikiFormatting#TracLinks> and at <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/TracLinks> <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/TracLinks>. What will help me is mention of "GitHub commits" as well as "changesets".
> My underlying problem is that I file bug reports with just enough diligence to want to link to supporting information, and just often enough to remember that there is a right way to do it, but not often enough to remember what that right way is.
>
> If I don't hear objections, I'll go ahead and use the edit button on those pages, and trust that the wiki mechanisms will protect the content from too much of my damage.
>
> My thanks to everyone who maintains this machinery, and to the maintainers who swoop in and fix the things I file tickets about. I appreciate your work.
>      —Jim DeLaHunt
> P.S. maybe I should add a HOWTO <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto>> encouraging contributions to the wiki?

Please do edit the wiki, but we probably should not edit pages (including WikiFormatting and TracLinks) that are part of the Trac default documentation, as I don't know what would happen when we update to a newer version of Trac.

I did reiterate that TracLinks should be used here:

https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2020-April/041798.html

But I didn't add anything else to the wiki about it.