Fixed! Was Re: Weird GNUPLOT problem (but *not* just Gnuplot)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Sep 27 21:06:30 UTC 2020

Well well; I noticed that my MacBook had been up for 44 days, and so I
decided to apply the Universal Microsoft Solution (tm) and now everything
is working!  Call me an unrealistic perfectionist, but I think that
machines should not need to be rebooted unless absolutely necessary e.g.
hardware issues or OS upgrades etc.  I once wrote a large application that
was heavy on malloc()/free(), and it passed every test that I could throw
at it.

Heck, I once had my FreeBSD server up for a year, until I had a power
failure :-(  And I don't switch off my boxes (unless I have to) because
switching them on again is when they're most likely to fail in my
experience (~50 years); think of stressed power supplies etc (I even lost
a SIMM on my server after I had to switch it off for a hardware upgrade).

Apologies for impugning MacPorts, but it sure looked that way since it
happened immediately after my weekly software update ("port selfupdate"
etc).

-- Dave