Error: Failed to build source-highlight: command execution failed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 1 16:59:16 UTC 2021

On Apr 30, 2021, at 18:11, tom eee wrote:

> I did as you suggested and after a lengthy period of time I got the following:
>
> Error: On macOS 10.7, libsdl2 @2.0.14 requires Xcode 4.3 or later but you have Xcode 4.2.
> Error: See https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html for download links.
> Error: Failed to extract libsdl2: incompatible Xcode version
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_libsdl2/libsdl2/main.log for details.
> Error: rev-upgrade failed: Error rebuilding ffmpeg

We have a binary of libsdl2 @2.0.14 for all systems, including Mac OS X 10.7, so I'm not sure why your MacPorts was unable to obtain this from us and tried instead to build it from source.

libsdl2 and ffmpeg (graphics and video libraries, respectively) have nothing to do with clang (a compiler). Trying to reinstall clang-9.0 should not have involved trying to install libsdl2 or ffmpeg. My guess is that reinstalling clang-9.0 succeeded and then MacPorts ran its rev-upgrade process to see if any installed ports were broken (I see "rev-upgrade failed" in your output above), and found that ffmpeg and libsdl2 were broken and tried to rebuild them, which failed. But if clang-9.0 was successfully reinstalled, you could now try again to install source-highlight using clang-9.0.

> I went to Apple Developer to get Xcode 4.3 and the log in screen just spins at me after entering my id and password.
> So I guess I am just hosed until I can figure out how to get Xcode 4.3.

It would not be surprising for you to be unable to connect to or interact with modern web sites using a web browser that works on Mac OS X 10.7, since that is so old. If you have a computer running a newer OS, you could download a newer Xcode there and transfer it to this computer.

It is probably a good idea to update to Xcode 4.6.3 as soon as possible, so that any other builds you need to do on your system use the same compiler we've tested with so that you don't run into other problems we haven't seen before.

> I do not really understand all of this and how it all fits together, the best I can do is just keep going until I run out of windmills to tilt.  Is there any value to just erasing everything and starting over?

Erasing MacPorts won't update your Xcode for you, which is what you need to do to overcome the current issue.