is macports getting rusty?

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Nov 29 14:15:05 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-29 at 08:32:46 UTC-0500 (Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:32:46 +0000)
Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
is rumored to have said:

> If you find yourself during an port update building rust from source,
> either just let it finish, or if you don't want your machine tied up
> building rust for some period, just cancel the build and try again
> later on, as as others have pointed out eventually the buildbots will
> provide the binary tarball for it and thus you will just pick that
> once its available.

This raises a question that I cannot find a clear answer to:

How are builds prioritized on the buildbots?

I would hope that in an ideal world, some priority is given to large,
slow, and heavily-depended-upon builds. It's also easier to say that
than to actually implement it, but it would help address a real pain
point in using MacPorts.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org