libusb-devel port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 5 18:02:34 UTC 2022

On Apr 5, 2022, at 09:08, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Thanks. Assumed I have downloaded a binary release from libusb’s github Releases and it looks like that in the tree:
>
> $ find macos_11.6
> macos_11.6
> macos_11.6/.DS_Store
> macos_11.6/bin
> macos_11.6/bin/dpfp
> macos_11.6/bin/listdevs
> macos_11.6/bin/sam3u_benchmark
> macos_11.6/bin/fxload
> macos_11.6/bin/xusb
> macos_11.6/bin/testlibusb
> macos_11.6/bin/hotplugtest
> macos_11.6/bin/stress
> macos_11.6/include
> macos_11.6/include/.DS_Store
> macos_11.6/include/libusb-1.0
> macos_11.6/include/libusb-1.0/libusb.h
> macos_11.6/lib
> macos_11.6/lib/pkgconfig
> macos_11.6/lib/pkgconfig/libusb-1.0.pc
> macos_11.6/lib/libusb-1.0.dylib
> macos_11.6/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
> macos_11.6/lib/libusb-1.0.a
> macos_11.6/lib/libusb-1.0.la
>
> How can I make these active in libusb-devel or otherwise available?

I don't understand the question. MacPorts doesn't generally use binaries provided by upstream developers. Instead, MacPorts builds projects from source. Depending on various factors, you might receive a binary that we compiled on our servers, or MacPorts may build it from source on your system. The libusb-devel port currently installs version @20220403-bfbef179. If you wish for it to install a different version, you can edit the libusb-devel Portfile (the file identified by the command `port file libusb-devel`.) You can see what files the port installed by running `port contents libusb-devel` after installing it.

> Do the pkgconfig .pc files play a role in the installation mechanism?

The libusb-1.0.pc file tells other programs how to find libusb at build time.