Using port command to see installation method

Mircea Trandafir tramir at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:58:31 UTC 2024

From personal experience: if you installed package X from source with a given variant(s) and an updated version of X exists in binary version for the same variant(s), then “port upgrade outdated” will install that binary version.

--
Mircea Trandafir
Senior researcher
Rockwool Foundation Research Unit
Ny Kongensgade 6
DK 1472, Copenhagen
Denmark
Web: http://www.mirceatrandafir.com

On 20 Aug 2024, at 9:32 PM, Nate Ijams via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org> wrote:

And I suppose one follow up, if that is the case: how are upgrades handled by MacPorts when someone has originally installed a package from source vs binary?

Take this scenario:
– Install package X from source;
– Install package Y from binary;
– Later, both packages are upgraded in the ports tree; and
– I run `port upgrade outdated`.

Will X be upgraded from source, and Y from binary, so long as I do not run the command with `-s` or `b`? Or is the history ignored, and both will be upgraded by default from binary? Or is there a different behavior?